pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index pyTivo Discussion Forum
Answers and the development of pyTivo a TiVo transcoding server

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Preventing Windows 7 sleep during transfers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Support
 View previous topic :: View next topic  
lucasnz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wmcbrine, I see your point and I think it's valid but It's also valid to desire ones computer not to sleep in the middle of a transfer, as it can now.

I agree, to make this work best, it would be good to gracefully stop pytivo before the system sleeps and start it when it wakes. We'll have to work on this as well...

Perhaps the initial change should simply disable sleep when pytivo is running?
lucasnz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A possible solution for starting and stopping the pyTivo service when the computer sleeps:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/a5f9d579-00c7-49fd-9bf4-a13ef1a01c93/

It would be nice to have something contained within pytivo, I don't think that's going to be possible. We could possibly have pytivo create the scheduled task but the problem with this is pytivo may not be running as a service and pytivo probably can't easily tell. So perhaps creating a scheduled task like this would be a job of an installer (like the one I've been developing).

@stevehogan, you can't wake a computer directly with a TCP 9032 request. You must wake it with a "magic packet":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN

It is possible to "proxy" a resource request with in turn sends the "magic packet" for you. Apples Bonjour Sleep Proxy is a good example for this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_Proxy_Service

But you still need something running all the time that supports acting as a sleep proxy. Currently I believe there are very few (if any) devices that support this other than apple products. So for the moment it's probably not worth chasing WOL for the Tivo.

The other problem is to do with the way the shares are announced and this is why wmcbrine is suggesting that pytivo should be shut down before the computer is put to sleep. I think the best solution for the moment is to stick with your manual WOL via Android...

BTW, what WOL app are you using for Android?

Luke
mcampbell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevehogan wrote:
Just so you know, my incentive for this was having an unattended PC (my previous pytivo source running 24 hours a day) have a failure that blew a physical hole in the motherboard and costing me about two weeks of recovery work. I have thus promised myself to do whatever I can to minimize the stress on my system going forward. Hence this request. Respectfully submitted.

I don't know what state of the art in hardware is these days, but not too long ago the thermal stresses of cycling a machine on and off was actually a lot more harmful than just keeping it on. Perhaps they've solved this problem by now, however.

As to your weeks of recovery work... having a machine sleep isn't going to help that. Backups will, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: