From pyTivo - WikiTiVo Desktop, pyTivo loads many standard video compression codecs and outputs mpeg2 (or in some cases, h.264) video to the TiVo. However, pyTivo is able to load many more file types than TiVo Desktop.
pyTivo is in no way affiliated with TiVo, Inc.
- Output 4:3 or 16:9 and pad your video if needed.
- Transfer compatible video files without transcoding.
- Transfer TiVo recordings (.tivo) from computer to TiVo.
- Display Metadata about your video.
- Serve Music and Photos through the HMO protocol
- Support for Windows, Linux, and Mac
In order to run pyTivo you will need:
- A compatible TiVo with active subscription (standalone Series 2 or later; limited (non-video) support for certain DirecTV units).
- A Python interpreter; versions 2.5 through 2.7 are compatible.
- A Current Release of pyTivo.
- FFmpeg -- for transcoding video and audio (pyTivo will work without it in a limited fashion). Must be built with --enable-libmp3lame (no longer the default) if you want to support non-MP3 music files.
- tivodecode -- to make best use of .TiVo files (recordings transferred from a TiVo).
- The Python Imaging Library -- to make best use of the photo plugin (it will work with FFmpeg in the absence of PIL, but must have one or the other).
See the install pages for more detailed settings for specific operating systems.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- If you still have a problem: